Saturday, 10 April 2010


The moth trap had about 90 moths in and around it on the morning of Saturday 10th at the park. The most eyecatching moth was this early thorn pictured above which looks more like a butterfly than a moth with the way it holds its wings. In pevious years there have often been several records in the spring of the early thorn.

Other moths noted included satellite, common quaker, small quaker, blossom underwing, hebrew character, red chestnut, early grey, clouded drab and the March moth.

This pine beauty with its richly patterned wing markings is the first record this spring. There should be one or two other records over the next few weeks.

Sunny weather during the day saw four peacocks and a small tortoiseshell butterfly enjoying the sunshine near the car park. Around the park 5 adders were noted and a common lizard too.

It was great hearing the song of the nightingale for the first time this spring, just returned from Africa, singing from the same car park hedge where it bred last year. Despite the good weather, the bird sang just briefly during the mid-morning. What did get it going was it hearing the sound of a rival male singing from the opposite side of the car park. The two birds sang a short duet, the song carrying over the tops of the parked cars. During the day the car park filled up with cars and I'm sure both nightingales retreated to hide in some peaceful thickets.

Several yellow wagtails flew over the park during the morning with at least five birds noted with one bird seen in the afternoon on the fields. A swallow was also over the fields, two sand martins over the cliffs and a newly arrived chiffchaff singing from the clifftop trees.

On the fields 120 redshank roosting in a group were the main birds of note along with the usual other birds of 25 teal, 12 wigeon, 16 shelduck, 4 gadwall, brent goose, 10 curlew and a little egret with its fine plumes on its back being ruffled in the breeze.

Walked alongside a very brazen fox in mid-morning which was standing inside a hedge, just a couple of metres from me. By standing still it may've presumed I might not notice it and I could easily have missed it but the sun shone on its red coat too easily. As soon as I stopped, it turned and jumped over a big ditch, splashing into the water as it made its rapid escape into the grazing fields.

No comments: